Saturday, January 21, 2012

So much for my New Years Resolution?

I've really wanted to blog more lately and post pictures of the farm critters but life is so incredibly busy right now I haven't had much of a chance.


On the plus side starting in February I will only be working 1 night at the ER clinic a week which will open up just about every other weekend for me so long as I'm not working the Saturday at the day practice. These open weekends will be dedicated to the farm and the dogs respectively.


In farm news my Creme D'Argent rabbit litter missed so no cute orange babies on the farm.. I will rebreed the doe if we have a warm day this week and I'm going to be culling out the rest of my Rhinelanders over the next month or two so all of my cages will be open by spring for my commercial rabbit project. If the Cremes don't end up producing like clockwork like my Rhinelanders and Belgian Hares have in the past then I most certainly will bring in another rare/heritage commercial breed that is dual purpose meat/fur.. I'm experimenting with tanning rabbit hides at the moment, the goal being to use as much of the animal as possible and I hope to have a whole blog post soon all about the processes I'm trying.


In goat news I've been lax with getting on the boat with breeding... I only think my fainter Dandy is bred at this point and I'm not 100% sure.. I'm going to be staggering the Nigerian does for breeding this year, the plan being to have a kidding every few months so I'm not overwhelmed with kidding responsibilities all at one time and to hopefully have milk available year round.


In chicken news, not much to report.. the first baby chicks will arrive in a month or so which is always fun. My current hens are not too amused with the cold weather and it certainly has effected their laying as egg production is down quite a bit.


Alot of changes will be coming to the farm this year, the big project around the corner is a major clearing and landscaping project. Just about 3 acres are being completely cleared for pasture space, the goal being to use it for hay production down the line. Other areas are being thinned and clear cut respectively, a half acre plot for a garden space, a separate space for a new goat buck area that will completely separate the boys from the girls. (no more shared fenceline, yay!) And of course the dogs are benefiting greatly from all this as they will be getting a much larger play yard, an agility field and an expanded kennel.


I'll try and get some photos up soon, I'm also planning on doing a major overhaul on the farm website... stay tuned!

1 comment: